Tuesday, April 7, 2009

the girl in the mirror



Mirrors are funny things.


James says that a man doesn't look into a mirror and walk away without remembering what he looks like. He also says we are to be doers of the word, and not hearers only.


In Matthew 5, JESUS gives us HIS sermon on the which is basically what we should look to see in a spiritual mirror. We should be poor in spirit, meek, humble, mourn, hunger and thirst for righteousness, be merciful, peacemakers. These are the ones who experience the Kingdom. These are the attributes the SON of GOD said we should exhibit. We should seek this appearance, not that of another person.


Eph. 5 talks about being imitators of GOD and live a life of love. We easily slip into not seeking to look like JESUS, but to look like our spiritual mentors. While it is good to have a mentor and teacher, they have flaws. We should be seeking the heart of GOD together, yet each for our own self. Our journeys toward knowing HIM all have the same goal, but none of them look the same.


So, I've been stuck on this idea of mirrors for a couple of days because it kept getting thrown at me in these different situations. I've been having a kind of identity crisis because my faith is finally becoming my own and trying to grow roots. I have been seeking what GOD sees me as and for that to be my identity, and in knowing how HE sees me, knowing HIM. Knowing HIM is knowing love, and that allows me to love with HIS love. It's a tough, painful, straining, rewarding, joyful, ultimate ride. But I'm learning...learning to look in HIS mirror at myself.


HE is good.

No comments: