Monday, April 13, 2009

devastation...



Friday, April 9, was Good Friday. Ironically, the "good" was short lived. Super strong tornados ravaged through the Murfreesboro area, showing no mercy. At least 2 and possibly up to 4 tornados touched down destroying over 100 house and causing damage to close to 200. Two people, a mother and her 9-week old baby, were killed. Many more were injured. Saturday morning, I worked at the Red Cross shelter from 6:45-11. We loaded and unloaded SO much donated food and water. We also served breakfast to the refugees and volunteers. One man that had taken shelter there was about 70 yrs old. He had been sucked through his roof and thrown over his house. He escaped with only 2 broken ribs. He lost his dentures and couldn't eat. However, his psychlogical damage was devastating. I don't think he even knew where he was. He was in the strangest daze.


Around time for me to leave, a crew of 42 inmates that had been out in the field working came in to eat. As I served them breakfast, they were so polite and glad to be able to help. It was truly a humbling and awesome experience to serve these guys to whom most people turn a blind eye. I was so encouraged by their desire to help people who have lost everything, as well as their love for broccoli and chicken cassarole.


After leaving the shelter, I headed into the field along with 4 other RFCers. A girl that had been a part of our campus ministry last year had lost her house. So, we hiked over to her neighborhood because you couldn't drive into it. For 3 or 4 hours we helped just try to make a dent in the cleanup that has to happen.


The damage is just rediculous. I kept having flashbacks of Katrina honestly. No the damage isn't as widespread and there was no flooding, but alot of the mental images I have from Gulfport were triggering in my mind this weekend. It is going to take a while for Murfreesboro to recover from this. Keep praying!

1 comment:

jenna said...

Man, Lana... that is just crazy.... I don't think it fully hit me just how bad Murfreesboro was hit.. Man.... Reading your words was really powerful.